About Sector Support
The Community Sector is made up of a range of community managed and Non-Government organisations who work in social services. This includes aged care, people with disabilities, children’s services, services for women, family and youth services, health services, alcohol and other drug services, mental health services, community based legal services, community based employment and education services, services for people from Non-English Speaking Backgrounds, housing services and services for homeless people, Indigenous organisations and community councils, as well as other peak and resource bodies.
The Community Sector has a critical role to play in both social and economic development in the Northern Territory.
The Community Sector plays a vital role in our communities in creating social wellbeing for all Territorians and in creating safe and healthy communities. The sector provides services that enable people to participate in education, employment, economic development, family and community life. They assist individuals and families who are in crisis situations, and address social and health factors which prevent family breakdown and young people being placed in care. The Community Sector is working towards quality of life for all Territorians.
Read the Value of the Not for Profit sector to the NT Economy Report
In moving towards a fair, inclusive and sustainable Northern Territory, the role of NTCOSS sector support is to value, promote and develop the capacity of non-government not for profit organisations to provide assistance to vulnerable Territorians and to contribute to policy making on sector issues.
NTCOSS supports a strong and sustainable social and community services sector by consulting with the sector to research, develop and then represent the needs of their client groups. NTCOSS identifies and assists the sector to meet reforms in legislation, social policy and operational documents that relate to how the community sector is governed and operates. NTCOSS also works in building organisations capacity to provide high quality services by facilitating development and providing resources, information and advice. Key areas of work are:
- Providing leadership for the community sector to positively influence the policy framework and structural changes affecting the sector;
- Positioning and promoting the sector to increase it’s collective influence and improve recognition of the contribution to society;
- Promoting real community engagement across NT Government;
- Lobbying for adequate funding and effective service agreements and reporting on the impact of any changes;
- Disseminating information and resources to the community sector workforce;
- Facilitate networking, development and training opportunities for the community sector workforce;
- Provide organisational specific support to organisations including new peak bodies;
- Promoting the sectors standards and developing organisations capacity for quality improvements, accountability and consumer participation.
NTCOSS can assist with:
- Workforce planning and development
- Workforce recruitment and retention strategies
- Policy and procedures development
- Incorporation and associated responsibilties
- Research, resources and tools
- Referrals and link up to professional services
NTCOSS also delivers group training in response to sector need and facilitates the community sector manager’s skill swap meetings every two months.