Website Jesuit Social Services
About Jesuit Social Services
Jesuit Social Services stands solidarity with those in need. We work to build a just society where all people can live to their full potential by partnering with the community to support those in need and working to change policies, practices, ideas and values that perpetuate inequality, prejudice and exclusion.
About the program
Jesuit Social Services has worked in the Northern Territory since 2008, and established a Darwin office in 2016. We have built a strong reputation in the Northern Territory for delivering services, growing community capacity and advocating for improved social policy.
Building on 40 years experience working with young people and adults in the justice system (including our highly successful youth justice group conferencing program in Victoria), we are very pleased to be piloting a Youth Justice Group Conferencing program in Darwin and Palmerston.
Our approach emphasises cross cultural competence and participant empowerment as key principles when engaging people with multiple and complex needs. We give attention to their skills and strengths rather than deficits; and to self-determination and responsibility rather than dependency.
About the role
Youth Justice Group Conferencing (YJGC) brings together a young person who has offended, their family, community members and the victim of a crime to discuss the impacts of that crime in a group conference setting. The program works with young people referred by the Children’s Court.
To be successful in this role candidates will require:
- A sound knowledge and understanding of restorative justice and group conferencing principles
- Experience and/or knowledge of group conference convening
- An understanding of the Northern Territory’s Youth Justice System and skills to integrate the program within this system and the wider community
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to work effectively with disadvantaged young people, 10 – 18 years of age, their families and communities
- A high level of mediation, negotiation, interpersonal and liaison skills.
The program currently services the Darwin, Palmerston and Katherine regions.
An attractive salary plus salary packaging is offered, together with ongoing professional and career development.
For more information on how to apply, visit:
To apply for this job email your details to John.email@example.com.